soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

just heard that germany and the netherlands gonna play a friendly next year before euro2012.
After both teams are on fire (10 wins in 10 qualification games and 2nd and 3rd in the current fifa ranking), i am really looking forward to it. :drool:

ofc i believe that the incredible depth of the german squad lifts them abit above Oranje, but the truth will be shown on the field :)

Can't say i disagree, as much as i would want to. I predict a finale betwqeen spain and germany (if possible ofc). But we'll see :)

rooney banned 3 games, gg.

next summer we will see some1 do red card violent conduct in the actual euro, but the punishment will be 1 missed game.

not that i care, the english national team is a disgrace!

Bolton 5 Stoke 0!!! what has happened to the almightly stoke defence!!!!

Newcastle win again and stay in 3rd who'd of thunk it!!!

Last edited:
Germany (3rd best team according to the strange FIFA Ranking) vs Netherlands (2nd best team according to the strange FIFA Ranking) tomorrow.
Rly looked forward to the match, but unfortunally many injuries/replacements on both sides.
The missing guys in german ranks are Schweinsteiger, Lahm and prolly Klose :(
VanDerVaat, VanPersie and summone else are missing for NL too

Just sad

Germany (3rd best team according to the strange FIFA Ranking) vs Netherlands (2nd best team according to the strange FIFA Ranking) tomorrow.
Rly looked forward to the match, but unfortunally many injuries/replacements on both sides.
The missing guys in german ranks are Schweinsteiger, Lahm and prolly Klose :(
VanDerVaat, VanPersie and summone else are missing for NL too

Just sad

it's a friendly , never is best team vs best team in a friendly !

even england beat spain 1-0 in a friendly , doesn't mean anything !!!

well, i suppose this match showed that germany is - together with spain - the main favourite for the title next year.
Like against brazil the team dominated clearly and impressed with their passing, combinations and ability to control the game.

No other team atm has so much (young) potential and such a depth. There are even tons of new young talents coming up (Götze, Reus, Schürlle,etc) which brings problems for loew to decide which players should be selected.

Sure Netherlands missed many keyplayers (esp. Robben, VanPersie, VanDerVaart) but doubt it would have made such a big difference. Not that i am cocky, but those players played in the world cup and NL played pretty crap/boring there aswell (abit "stereotype german-style" ;)) and hade not a single chance vs Spain.
And especially when you consider how fragile Robben is, you can never be sure if he's ready to play in important games anyway....pitty.

So the main question is: Can germany finally beat Spain and Italy (which is somekind of an archenemy for german teams when it comes to competition matches).
But atleast the players and the coach finally say from the beginning that they wanna win the whole thing. Unlike 2010.
Hopefully this will help mentally and the team shows that they have nuts against Spain

your post kind of amuses me bart. Missing robben, van der vaart, van persie and affelay doesnt matter? come on man. And us not getting a single chance against spain? I remember a certain retard named robben fucking up a 1v1 situatio nagainst thei goalie, so yeah..

Defense of Holland was just plain shit.. During the entire game the left wing was wide open all the time(both on offense and defense.). The first 2 goals were also scored by defensive errors.

But not only the left wing was shit, the entire defense was shit, during transition's you could clearly see Germany lining up in a perfect 'diamond-like' formation, where on the other side Holland just was all over the place, having no clue at all.

on a sidenote:
and hade not a single chance vs Spain.

If you are talking about the WC final: it was an even match, where Robben should have scored at least once on his 1-on-1 with the keeper (x2). (or he should have 'fell' down like that @#*@#* Iniesta did. Heijtinga got red because Iniesta went down, while Puyol should of gotten red (2xyellow) in the exact same situation (but Robben didn't go down), and yes, I'm still pissed at the WC final.)

Sure Netherlands missed many keyplayers (esp. Robben, VanPersie, VanDerVaart) but doubt it would have made such a big difference. Not that i am cocky, but those players played in the world cup and NL played pretty crap/boring there aswell (abit "stereotype german-style" ) and hade not a single chance vs Spain.
And especially when you consider how fragile Robben is, you can never be sure if he's ready to play in important games anyway....pitty.

:|

I agree that missing those players probably wouldn't have made a big difference on tonights game, but I can't help but LOL hard at your other statements.

No chance vs Spain? It went 0-0 in 90 minutes, with 2-3 solid chances for NL to score... infact, while Spain had more chances/shots on goal, I would argue that NL actually had the BETTER chances (Twice robben solo vs goalie). After 90 mins I had the feeling NL was aiming for penalties and Spain took the game, fair enough. But no chance? The game was pretty much a 50/50 during regular time. Both teams could've, maybe should've scored. I will agree that Spain went in being the favourite and throughout the game had the better play, but it was FAR from a one sided match. Everyone in NL had the feeling we were able to win this game despite of being underdog, heck my Spanish colleagues even agreed to this prior to match! :P Especially if you look at the earlier results (comeback vs brazil, walking through groupstage easily, and being unbeaten for 20+ games in a row).

Anyway, back to tonights game. This was pretty one sided, Germany was dominating and had an easy night. No excuses really, but I'm not worried. It was a friendly game and NL is known to underperform hard when it comes to games that don't matter. (losing vs sweden after being qualified, draw vs Swizz) Players just cba, never have been able to do well in friendlies or games vs crap countries. We play 0-0 vs macedonia etc. But if we play italy, france, brazil etc. we win!

Spain obviously will be a clear favourite, and yes Germany will be the other main favourite, but come EC time I am confident that NL could potentially beat both of em, might go in as underdog, but we have everything that we need to beat any team, recent WC and EC have proven this. At the end of the day, it is footy and anything can happen :P GL to all!