[Euro 2008] Prediction Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Spanish teams have/had a lot of foreigners aswell.

Actually, of the 3 English clubs in the semi's:

Liverpool: Gerrard, Carragher, Crouch, Pennant, Carson

Chelsea: Terry, Cole, Cole, SWP, Lampard, Bridge

Man Utd: Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick, Hargreaves, Scholes, Neville, Brown, Foster

Finnan, Giggs, O'Shea, Fletcher From GBR

Thats almost 2 England teams. Yes plenty of foreigners, but basically the England team was present. Bar people like Lennon/Young/Barry/Owen.

Obviously XB is too dumb to realise I meant discussing players in general. uZi will think he is an expert on the Arsenal team yet has he even been to a match? Watching a couple of matches on TV per month or highlights on match of the day and you think you are an expert.

Sorry, I have to go to a match to know something about the team I follow? I watched every single one of their games this season, bar 1, which I listened to on 5live.

How it makes any difference being at the game, or watching it on TV, I dunno.. I used to watch Cardiff City, but I'm pretty sure I learnt nothing about football, apart from how to scream WANKER at the players/ref and be a racist cunt. I'm sure you've got some made up qualification which will explain it though James.

semi-proffessional footballer.. :lol:. I got paid for playing gigs with my band, am I a semi-proffessional musician? I won money playing in UT tourny's.. I spose I'm a pro gamer too.. jeez, talk more shit

better yet guys type this in

http://www.google.com/search?q=torp+stfu
http://www.google.com/search?q=uzi+whines
http://www.google.com/search?q=soccer+terrible

or my favorite
http://www.google.com/search?q=usa+usa+usa

stfu.jpg

Bart that still doesn't show consistency. They did well in the World Cup but didn't do anything for2/3 European cups?
Didnt get your point there m8.
I said every 2/3 tournaments. tournaments are EC and WC.

Like you and i alrdy agreed on, it's not possible for any team to go far in every tournament, but when a national team plays key role for decades, you can say that such teams have a certain level of consistency. If you've a tournament victory every 20 years, but fail early in many further tournaments, this title was only a slip.

Also, English teams dominate the Club cups but the national team are nowhere. Pointless to use that same theory for Spain. Why class them as chokers? Maybe Spain just really weren't as good as people think.
Well, that's not everything.
It's undoubtful that young spanish players have mor echances to play in a spanish top-club than english newcomers in english topclubs.
The deepness of the spanish squad is - and always was - way larger than of any other european country.

Furthermore, if Raul was world class, why has he never led Spain to international glory, if you think he is a choker also then surely that rules him out of world class. Why wasn't he chosen for this tournament?
Didnt say that Raul is a chocker. i said the whole spanish team was a choker.
The chemistry in a team is very very important.
You can be the best player in the world, but when the team around you dont give a shit or doesnt wanna "run" for you, you can not do much.
In the spanish team jealousy and rivalry between the two big blocks Barcelona and Real Madrid overshadowed the qualities of individuals. And that's deadly in every team sport.

Last edited:
uZi, do you know the difference between professional, semi-professional and amateur? In football at least? I would have said played for a club but it wouldn't have covered it properly... I would have said the club but you would have made a smart reply "who?" etc. The term means obviously a team that doesn't pay the player full term wages, like all league clubs do. Hence in the FA Cup you hear a team who are non-league and their star player is a part time postman etc.

yes torp I know!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!! OMDZ

Do you know the difference between taking the piss and being serious?

C'mon no more Rosstophersophers be nice

And also, just to be pedantic, many of the world's most prolific/world class strikers have been less than 5'10" :P

Di Stefano was 5'8", Eusebio was 5'9", Paolo Rossi was 5'7", Gerd Muller was 5'9" etc etc etc. Oh but not forgetting the absolutely almighty, now selling washing machines for a living - Thomas Brolin @ 5'10" !

Smantie, I played in the 4th/5th tier of english football on a semi-pro contract earning around £100 a week at Stafford Rangers and Leek Town. Also trialled with Macclesfield Town the season they were promoted to the 3rd tier.

Meh, I used to play for Manchester United, Arsenal pretty much begged me to come play for them but I said no and retired to be an internet winnar from Stoke :nod:

It's based on points over certain periods. Obviously teams like Mexico have a fake place as their points are accumulated from playing teams like El Salvador. Italy will obviously be up there after winning world cup, if they fail to make next world cup or go out in the groups I expect they will be outside top 10 by 2010. Ukraine aren't bad either. They were at the world cup correct? I think they did better than USA if I recall, also they had a decent EC qualification, just missing out. IMO Turkey should be higher and I don't think Spain deserved to be automatically #1.

Argentina all of a sudden crash right down? Why? Even Brazil stayed above them and Brazil lost a newb game in their group!

It's based on points over certain periods. Obviously teams like Mexico have a fake place as their points are accumulated from playing teams like El Salvador. Italy will obviously be up there after winning world cup, if they fail to make next world cup or go out in the groups I expect they will be outside top 10 by 2010. Ukraine aren't bad either. They were at the world cup correct? I think they did better than USA if I recall, also they had a decent EC qualification, just missing out. IMO Turkey should be higher and I don't think Spain deserved to be automatically #1.

Argentina all of a sudden crash right down? Why? Even Brazil stayed above them and Brazil lost a newb game in their group!

You can never really trust rankings though because as you said Mexico can play a country no one has ever heard of and have 2928289 points. I didn't even know Ukraine actually had people living there until three weeks ago when I met someone from Kiev, and now I'm stunned they have a football team. My point wasn't anything against Ukraine, it was more "wow USA is shit at soccer" Italy won world cup 2006 but they failed miserably in EC 2008, hence they don't deserve to be #2. Doing rankings based upon that is kind of bogus. "Oh Spain won a cup only Europeans are invited to, therefore they must be #1, and Italy won the last major international cup before that so they must be #2" and it's going to take (by your count) until 2010 to get a fairly crap team of metrosexuals out of the top 10.

ukraine aint bad tbh, had some good players over the years. and they got the mighty shevchenko!!!! :\

Spain prolly gained a load of points from defeating italy and germany who were high placed, and winning the euro is prolly worth a fair few points too. Tis silly tho like ya say. Let's face it, any of the top 6 could beat any other on their day